Champions League qualification can help Celtic attract new players that can take club to the next level, says Martin O’Neill


Martin O’Neill is convinced that reaching the Champions League can be Celtic’s trump card in persuading transfer targets to sign for the club in the coming fortnight.

The Parkhead club welcome Austrian double winners LASK to Glasgow for the first leg of tonight’s play-off tie looking to atone for last year’s disappointment in losing to Kairat Almaty.

Celtic have splashed £30million on four players this summer yet have so far been frustrated in their efforts to sign a direct replacement for Arne Engels following his £22m move to West Ham.

Still encouraged by the business that has been done to date, O’Neill feels certain that securing a place back in the knock-out round will help him secure the individuals he still craves ahead of the window closing on September 3.

Asked if he felt confident that he had a squad capable of eliminating the Austrians, he said: ‘I often think there are some teams in the Europa League that are Champions League material, teams like Stuttgart last year.

‘But overall, my experience of last season (in the Europa) would suggest you would need strength in depth to keep a level domestically and cope with these Champions League games in midweek.

Celtic boss Martin O'Neill addresses the media before the Champions League play-off first leg

Celtic boss Martin O’Neill addresses the media before the Champions League play-off first leg

Camilo Duran is in good spirits in training ahead of Celtic's play-off against Austrians LASK

Camilo Duran is in good spirits in training ahead of Celtic’s play-off against Austrians LASK

‘If we can progress, you’d think then there are some players you are looking at and who might be dallying, they might think the Champions League is worthwhile going for.

‘I think if you did qualify for the Champions League, even though you only have a period of a week or something, you might be able to attract other players from that viewpoint. ‘So, it’s got all its merits, of course, financially.

‘But for me, it’s the prestige as much as anything else.’

While Celtic have gone some way to answering their critics by bringing in Camilo Duran, Kapser Hogh, Haissem Hassan and Mika Baur, Engels’ departure for the English Championship with no replacement waiting in the wings has drawn criticism.

While clear that Engels was determined to move to London last week, O’Neill accepts that some fans will be dismayed about the timing of the transfer.

But he’s adamant that the club could scarcely have done more in the interim to bring in a player with a similar profile.

‘Yeah, I will understand any arguments put forward about that,’ he added.

‘If I was looking at it from a distance, ideally, it’d be great (to have kept him).

‘I suppose, Arne, from January, his stats and all that type of stuff would become relevant therefore he would have been high on someone’s (list).

‘When it (the offer) came in, when there was nothing happened at all in early proceedings. I’m not saying you’re hoping it’ll lie down.

‘And in fairness to us, we’ve actually actively been looking at replacements for him, they just haven’t materialised at this minute.

‘It’s sometimes that happens. We’ve actively been looking for a similar type player to him. ‘

Reluctant to play the midfielder against his will, O’Neill said: ‘So, we stop him from going, we play, and he plays the game and let’s say his mind is elsewhere, that becomes a problem. That’s the thing.

‘But I also take your point and you can argue it anywhere you want that maybe we should have had a replacement in.

‘But again, I’ve tried as much as possible to get a bit of quality in.’

O’Neill revealed he tried to persuade Engels to stay until after the play-off game only for the Belgian to tell him that he didn’t want to risk getting injured.

‘We did,’ he said. ‘He had his mind made up, that’s what he wanted to do.

Danish striker Kasper Hogh (centre) has hit the ground running at Parkhead

Danish striker Kasper Hogh (centre) has hit the ground running at Parkhead

‘In fairness to the lad, he played in the (league) games, let’s give him credit for that.

‘I think when Alistair (Johnston) got injured, I think he thought, it could happen to him and that chance to not play down in London, and West Ham are a big club who can afford to take him.’

Aside from Johnston, who’s out until next month with a hamstring issue, O’Neill has no fresh injury concerns.

Stressing his side will face over the two legs, the Celtic manager said: ‘I think the game is going to be very, very difficult. I think they’re a very fine side, champions of Austria.

‘We’ve watched them now on numerous occasions. We’ve had people watching them live. Obviously, I’ve had a chance to see them. So, they’re very strong, very, very competitive.

‘Very fast up front as well too. Lots of good players on the side. And they’re very, very strong. Physically strong as well too. So, this will be a difficult task for us.’



Source link

DOJ’s probe into Andreessen Horowitz over board seats baffles VCs

Residents of London borough famed for low council tax could see 160% RISE next year – but Conservatives blame Labour for taking millions in funding

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *