No stranger to controversy over the past several years, the Miss USA and Miss Teen USA pageants have just landed in another. Less than a week before the competitions were set to air on The CW, the network has pulled both from the schedule.
It’s not clear why, but in a brief statement to Deadline, The CW said: “After careful consideration and conversations with the Miss USA Organization, The CW Network has decided to forgo next week’s broadcasts of the Miss USA and Miss Teen USA pageants. We wish the organization and all of this year’s contestants well in the competition.”
The CW struck a three-year deal in April 2024 to air the beauty pageants. But Miss USA 2023 Noelia Voigt and Miss Teen USA 2023 UmaSofia Srivastava resigned from their positions in May 2024, accusing the organizers of abuse and bullying. The network did not air the competitions last year as a result of changes to their ownership, marking the first time that the Miss USA event was not televised since 1965. Both pageants streamed on the Queen Beauty Network instead.
Just two months ago, in June, The CW struck a multi-year deal with BDE Miss USA, which now owns the competitions, to air the two events in August. Miss Teen USA was scheduled to air on Wednesday, August 26, with Miss USA on Thursday, August 27. Now, the Queen Beauty Network website again will stream both.
The pageants previously have been owned by the likes of Donald Trump and WME’s IMG.
Earlier this month, the Miss USA pageant faced controversy yet again with the ouster of former Miss North Carolina USA Brittany Boltinhouse. The pageant made the decision to dethrone Boltinhouse, issuing a statement in which they condemned “racism, homophobia and transphobia,” citing “conduct” over the years that violated its policies. She was replaced by runner-up Myla Hadley.
Miss USA/Miss Teen USA brass addressed the CW’s decision in a brief statement the pageants’ Instagram Stories page.
“Two weeks ago, we identified a contractual issue with our production arrangements that could not be resolved within the necessary time frame,” the statement said. “Since then, our team has worked diligently to explore options that would allow us to continue with a live broadcast on The CW. Unfortunately, we were unable to reach mutually agreeable terms for this year’s event.”
The statement added, “While The CW will not be carrying a live broadcast of Miss USA this year, we are grateful for our relationship with the network and remain open to opportunities to work together in the future.”
Peter White contributed to this report.