Body of missing Sydney bushwalker Lily Hooper, 18, found despite conflicting reports she was discovered alive


The body of missing hiker Lily Hooper has been found eight days after she disappeared in the NSW Southern Highlands. 

The experienced hiker was last seen leaving her parents’ home on Burragorang Road at Oakdale, south-west of Sydney, at about 8am on Wednesday. 

The family of the 18-year-old was informed by police she was found this morning in the Nattai National Park.

NSW Premier Chris Minns had initially claimed in a budget estimates hearing on Thursday that Lily had been found alive in the bush with ‘half a bottle of water’.

Minutes later, Minns told the same inquiry that Lily was dead.

‘She has been found deceased, and I only raise that because I gave earlier advice,’ he said.

‘This is obviously devastating, and I am profoundly sad for the family and all those concerned.’

NSW Police also clarified that a body has been found.

The body of missing hiker Lily Hooper has been found after eight days lost in the NSW Southern Highlands

The body of missing hiker Lily Hooper has been found after eight days lost in the NSW Southern Highlands 

NSW Police have since clarified that a body was found during the search

NSW Police have since clarified that a body was found during the search 

Nattai National Park is a short drive south-west of Sydney, and features spectacular trails

Nattai National Park is a short drive south-west of Sydney, and features spectacular trails 

‘While yet to be formally identified, the body is believed to be that of the 18-year-old woman,’ a spokesman said.

‘A report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.’

The news comes just days after Lily’s heartbroken family thanked authorities for their ‘desperate’ efforts to bring her home safe.

‘We would like to thank all the emergency services and volunteers for their support and continued commitment to the search, not only during the day but throughout the night,’ Lily’s family said. 

‘We desperately want to bring Lily home safe and we ask as the search continues, to keep our family and Lily in your thoughts.’

Lily’s father Jim Hooper previously asked the public to send out ‘love and energy’ in the hopes authorities would find Lily alive.

‘I’m very upset. I just want everyone to cross their fingers,’ he told 2SM on Monday.

‘I just want everyone to throw love and energy because we’ve got to go and find her. She’s got to be in there somewhere. It’s been too long.’

Hikers have described the trek as involving extensive rock scrambling and bush bashing

Hikers have described the trek as involving extensive rock scrambling and bush bashing

Nearly 100 Australian Defence Force members joined the search for Lily, alongside NSW Police, NSW SES and the Lifesaver 21 rescue helicopter crew

Nearly 100 Australian Defence Force members joined the search for Lily, alongside NSW Police, NSW SES and the Lifesaver 21 rescue helicopter crew

Her local martial arts group, Bujutsu Martial Arts and Fitness Centre, also said they hoped Lily would be found safely. 

‘Lily came to us about two years ago, as she wanted to focus on Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA training. If anyone can survive a hiking accident, it’s Lily. She is one tough girl,’ they said. 

The discovery comes after search and rescue teams navigated through challenging terrain, with the Bonnum Pic trek involving extensive rock scrambling, bush bashing and difficult route finding. 

A popular trail guide app, which describes the 16-kilometre trail as ‘strenuous’, warns hikers to ‘proceed cautiously’ on the route. 

‘Generally considered a highly challenging route, it should only be attempted by experienced adventurers. This trail is great for hiking and walking, and it’s unlikely you’ll encounter many other people while exploring,’ the app states.

It also warns there is a ‘weak’ and ‘unreliable’ mobile signal on the route.

‘Definitely download maps as trail was often hard to find in [the] middle section. Would not recommend to do solo as we had safety in numbers,’ one local hiker warned.

Another said: ‘We did find ourselves off track and doing a fair bit of bush bashing to get back on track.’

More to come.



Source link

NFL star agrees to $30 million one-year contract extension after team refused to cave in to trade demand

"I Guess Some Dirtbags Just Get A Pass": 19 Beloved Celebs With Controversial Pasts You Probably Forgot About

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *