- Suspicious item identified during screening process
- Domestic terminal remains closed
- See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a Preferred Source
One man has been detained and Avalon Airport has been evacuated as police respond to a suspected bomb scare at the domestic terminal.
Travellers were prevented from entering the airport, south-west of Melbourne, on Thursday morning as emergency crews flooded the scene.
Dozens of responders, including members of Victoria Police’s Bomb Response Unit were called to the airport shortly before 6am when a suspicious item was identified during the terminal screening process.
‘The building has been evacuated and area cordoned off as a precaution while the investigation is ongoing,’ a police statement read.
Arriving travellers were prevented from the terminal.
Incoming passengers were also impacted.
A flight from Bali landed at about 7am, with passengers safely disembarking before being escorted out of the terminal and taken to a temporary holding area in the car park.
Passengers with access to vehicles were able to leave immediately, while others were directed to the main exit.

The Bomb Response Unit was called to Avalon Airport after a suspicious item was identified during the terminal screening process

Avalon Airport remains closed. Pictured is a queue of cars parking along the side of the road
Those arriving from Bali were told there was a security incident affecting the domestic terminal, which had been shut down.
International flights will continue to be processed as normal.
Passengers scheduled to fly to Brisbane were also refused entry.
Meanwhile, long queues of cars have formed along Canberra Drive and Beach Road as the disruption continues.
‘Everyone is being turned away and asked to park on the road,’ one man told local radio station Bay 93.9.
‘We pulled up next to someone who said it was apparently a bomb scare.
‘There’s cars everywhere outside.’
Another said that his flight was cancelled.
‘We arrived at the airport at 5.50am,’ he wrote online.

Dozens of emergency responders remain at the scene

‘At 6.05 am we were evacuated to the drop off point. Once police arrived, they arrested a guy for questioning and we were moved further back to the short term car park.
‘Once we were told our flight was cancelled and we were put on another flight, we left.’
An Avalon Airport spokeswoman confirmed the security scare.
‘The domestic terminal at Melbourne Avalon Airport was evacuated this morning following the identification of a suspicious item during the screening process,’ a spokesperson said.
‘Victoria Police attended and an individual has been detained.
‘At this stage, passengers are being advised that, due to safety precautions, delays are expected to the Brisbane flight this morning. We will provide further updates regarding any additional delays as more information becomes available.’
Jetstar sent text messages to its passengers.
‘There is a security incident at Avalon Airport this morning and the airport is currently closed. There are also road closures around the airport to be aware of.
‘Chat with us here (link) for flight options from Melbourne. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.’
More to come


