Keir Starmer’s plans to evict Chagos Islanders who returned home have been halted after a judge blocked eviction orders issued by the Government.
Chagossian First Minister Misley Mandarin and three other islanders, who travelled to their homeland earlier this week, have now been granted a temporary right to stay on one of the islands, Île du Coin.
Justice James Lewis ruled on Thursday, from a flight at around 25,000ft in the air, to temporarily block an order from the British removing the islanders.
The ruling comes amid threats by US president Donald Trump that he will block Sir Keir’s controversial plans to hand over the Chagos Islands after being refused permission to use British bases to bomb Iran.
The four British Chagos islanders hope to permanently settle on the island in the Indian Ocean, with aims of further complicating a British plan to transfer ownership of the territory to Mauritius.
The four-strong ‘advance party’ is spearheaded by Mandarin, who pledged to establish a permanent resettlement more than 50 years after the population was evicted.
Justice Lewis, who is the chief justice of the British Indian Ocean territory, said: ‘It follows that I grant a temporary injunction against the enforcement of section 12 notices.
‘This injunction will remain in place for seven days to allow the defendants to file a response.’

Chagossian first minister Misley Mandarin (L) and his father (R) have been granted a temporary right to stay on one of the islands, Île du Coin

The eviction papers demanded the exiles depart the island or face a prison sentence of up to three years or a maximum fine of £3,000
In a ‘Declaration of Returning’, the party said: ‘We, the people of the Chagos Islands, stand today on the soil of our homeland.
‘We are the advance party. Hundreds more are following. We have come home.’
The four islanders were served eviction papers on Wednesday by a British patrol boat, which their lawyer James Tumbridge was able to successfully block with an injunction.
They were warned they would face a three-year prison sentence or a £3,000 fine if they did not leave the island, as under the British Indian Ocean Territory (Immigration Order) 2004.
In response to being handed the eviction papers, Mr Mandarin said: ‘This is really appalling, we have been exiled from our homeland for more than half a century.
‘Now, having this vessel service me this order that if I do not leave the island I might have to be in prison for three years or pay a hefty fine.
‘I am very angry about it’.
Shadow Foreign Secretary Dame Priti Patel said Labour is ‘doing Mauritius’s bidding’ by ‘threatening Chagossians with prison sentences or crippling fines for landing on the Islands’.

Donald Trump is threatening to block Labour’s Chagos Islands giveaway after being refused permission to use British bases to bomb Iran

In an explosive post on Truth Social, the US president warned The PM not to ‘give away’ or ‘lose control’ of the crucial joint US-UK military base on Diego Garcia

Questions over whether Labour is breaking the law by trying to evict the Chagossians have been raised.
James Tumbridge, who is the acting attorney general for the Chagos government under Mr Mandarin, said: ‘This injunction gives a proper chance to understand when a deportation is appropriate.
‘My clients are native Chagossians seeking to return peacefully to their homeland. We welcome the clarity and fairness reflected in today’s decision.’
The group had sailed 2,000 miles across the Indian Ocean and landed on Tuesday, which marked the end of 50 years in exile.
Their actions were condemned by the Foreign Office, which described the group’s journey as an ‘illegal, unsafe stunt’.
In May, Sir Keir had agreed to hand over sovereignty of the Chagos Islands to Mauritius.
As part of the controversial handover, Britain will be able to lease back Diego Garcia, which is currently a joint military base with the US, at a cost of up to £30billion over the next century.
It is a deal the Daily Mail revealed Sir Keir’s close friend Phillippe Sands shared the proceeds of an £8million pot for his involvement.

The four-strong ‘advance party’ is spearheaded by Mandarin (R), who pledged to establish a permanent resettlement more than 50 years after the population was evicted

An aerial view of the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean
The US President has frequently switched between supporting the deal and opposing it.
Last month Mr Trump criticised the handover, calling it an act of ‘great stupidity’. He then later said he believed the deal was the best Sir Keir could have made in order to keep hold of the base following legal challenges from Mauritius in the international courts.
This week the US President turned back on his opinion again, writing an explosive post on Truth Social: ‘We will always be ready, willing, and able to fight for the U.K., but they have to remain strong in the face of Wokeism and other problems put before them. DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!’
His eruptive change of heart is believed to be in retaliation of Sir Keir’s decision to block Mr Trump from using RAF bases to strike Iran.
Diplomatic sources told the Daily Mail that Sir Keir has warned the US President against launching any raids from Diego Garcia or RAF Fairford over concerns it could break international law.
The UK forcibly removed thousands of people from the Chagos Islands between 1967 and 1973 in order to build Diego Garcia.
A spokesperson from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said: ‘It remains both illegal and unsafe to enter the outer Chagos Islands without a valid permit.
‘The UK Government recognises the importance of the islands to the Chagossian community and is working with Mauritius to resume a programme of heritage visits to the Chagos Archipelago.
‘This kind of illegal, unsafe action is not the way to achieve that.
‘The vessel does not pose any security risk to Diego Garcia.’

