A father has said ‘over his dead body’ will he ‘give away his son’s dream’ after being threatened with prosecution by his council for letting his 14-year-old son follow his culinary passion by helping him at the family food truck.
Teenager Dexter Olejarka, from Four Marks, Hampshire, has been left ‘heartbroken’ by the council’s position after cooking alongside his chef father Greg Olejarka, 42, in the truck called ‘Crane Feasts’ since 2024.
Hampshire County Council claim Dexter is working within a ‘commercial kitchen’, which is illegal under The Children & Young Persons Act 1933, and contacted the family last week by email with a ‘threatening’ letter.
Greg, who is from Polish and Italian heritage, told the Daily Mail the council are ‘forcing’ them to ‘sign official letters that Dexter will not be working now or in the future in the food trailer’.
He added: ‘I will never sign something like that because that is like me committing to a suicide mission.
‘Over my dead body will I give away my son’s dream to the council.’
Dexter, who attends Perins School in New Alresford, Hampshire, has been described as ‘heartbroken’ over the local authority’s position.
Greg denies the council’s claims Dexter is an employee and is being ‘exploited’, he said: ‘Dexter has worked very hard to get to where he is now. It is not fair on him because we have done absolutely nothing wrong.
‘We don’t understand what power the council has to dictate what skills parents can teach their own kids.’

Greg Olejarka (L) has been threatened with prosecution by the Hampshire County Council for letting his son 14-year-old Dexter (R) cook alongside him at the family food truck

Dexter has always had a passion for cooking and completed a junior Chef course at Eastleigh College

Dexter has been helping his chef father Greg at the family food truck ‘Crane Feasts’ (pictured) for three hour shifts on Thursday and Friday evenings and on Saturdays
The father-of-three, with whom he shares with wife Karen, said: ‘Dexter is working out of his own will because he decided instead of spending time on computer games, he would rather get life skills.
‘Youngsters are like diamonds. They come into the kitchen, and if they have got the right mentor, they will achieve.
‘What is the most frustrating part is our local council attacked us as a parent and attacked Dexter as a young child.’
The young chef’s love to cook began when he was nine, having ‘built up a passion’ for cooking during the pandemic, and has since completed Level 2 Food Hygiene training and a junior Chef course at Eastleigh College.
He has helped his father in the family truck – named in honour of Dexter’s late grandmother – after school for three hour shifts on Thursday and Friday evenings and on Saturdays, while keeping up with his school work and ‘passing all his exams’.
The truck visits five separate locations and covers between 60 to 80 customers during each visit.
Regulars of the food truck contacted Cambridge-based food influencers ‘Food Review Club’ about the food truck and Dexter’s talent.
The founder and owner Matthew Blinge then visited the truck last month and left a glowing review.
Greg believes this video, shown to the Food Review Club’s 302,000 followers, tipped off the council.

Hampshire County Council claim Dexter is working within a ‘commercial kitchen’ at the food truck ‘Crane Feasts’

Dexter (pictured) has been left ‘heartbroken’ by the council’s action, as he hopes to pursue a culinary career

Dexter has completed Level 2 Food Hygiene training and a junior Chef course at Eastleigh College alongside his schoolwork at Perins School in New Alresford, Hampshire
The family started a petition calling on the council to urgently review and reverse their decision on banning Dexter from pursuing his hobby.
Greg started cooking when he was 11 and was taught by his Italian grandfather and has since pursued a career as a chef, moving to the UK in 2003.
Under The Children & Young Persons Act 1933, children can generally get a ‘light work’ part-time job from the age of 14. Children cannot do any job that may affect their health and safety or jeopardize their education.
A Hampshire County Council spokesperson said: ‘We can’t comment on individual cases, but we fully recognise how important it is for children to explore their interests and build new skills safely, alongside their education.
‘The Council has a legal responsibility to make sure all children in Hampshire are safe, protected, and not missing out on school if they take part in any kind of work. This means ensuring they have the right work permit, are not doing tasks or working hours that are prohibited by law for their age, and that any work happens outside the school day. These national rules exist to prevent exploitation and keep children safe in potentially risky environments.
‘We’re always here to help families understand the child employment rules, which can be detailed, and we encourage anyone with questions to get in touch for advice.’


