Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor appeared to be ‘in the throes of peak fear’ as he exited a police station after his arrest, a body language expert has claimed.
The disgraced former prince was detained by officers in an 8am raid on his Norfolk home on his 66th birthday on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Plain-clothes investigators, in six unmarked vehicles, surrounded Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate, as revealed by the Daily Mail, to apprehend him.
In events that rocked the Royal Family, Andrew became the first senior royal to be arrested in modern times.
He was taken to nearby Aylsham police station for questioning, where he was in custody for more than ten hours, before his release under investigation that evening.
The ex-Duke of York looked ashen-faced as he cowered in the back of a car leaving the station at around 7pm to return to Sandringham.
And now a body language expert has revealed her verdict on the historic moment, captured in an already infamous image of the shell-shocked royal.
Judi James told the Daily Mail the King’s brother looked ‘haunted’ as he tried to ‘hang onto his dignity’ while exiting the police station.

The disgraced former prince was detained by officers in an 8am raid on his Norfolk home on his 66th birthday on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Pictured: Andrew, in an already infamous image of his release from custody under investigation

And now body language expert Judi James has revealed her verdict on the historic moment, captured in a series of shocking photographs (pictured) of the shell-shocked royal

‘There is a hint of a man possibly still trying desperately to hang onto his dignity, power, authority and calm-headedness under exceptional circumstances,’ she said. Pictured: Andrew, in the series of images of him exiting police custody
‘This very dramatic photo appears to reward expectations in terms of showing a man in the throes of peak fear, looking both haunted and startled,’ she said.
‘It suggests an animal caught in the headlights at the moment of impact.
‘His eyes are widened and staring, his brows are raised to suggest shock, while his teeth are glimpsed through loose, slightly parted lips.
‘The backward slouch also suggests a man bracing himself, while the one red-eye effect of the camera flash gives the moment an eerie quality.’
It is understood Andrew was arrested regarding allegations he once passed sensitive information to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
This was allegedly done while he acted as trade envoy for the British government, a position he held from 2001 to 2011.
It follows a storm of controversy surrounding the former prince over his links to the convicted sex offender after the Epstein Files were released last month.
The ongoing furore has already seen Andrew stripped of his titles and privileges and exiled from his former home at Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park earlier this month.
And it has culminated in his unprecedented arrest, in one of the worst days for the Royal Family in recent history.
In a statement put out just minutes after his departure from custody, Thames Valley Police said ‘a man in his sixties’ has been released under investigation.
Detectives from the force will continue their probe over the coming days and weeks.
Meanwhile, the already historic images of Andrew’s exit from the police station are sure to haunt the Firm.
Of the ashen-faced photographs, Ms James continued: ‘There is no apparent desire here to perform any more blatant hide signals.
‘When someone attempts to hide fully and to self-protect the instinct is to curl or duck forward and cover the face or head with the hands.
‘Reclining backward can actually make us feel more open and vulnerable.
‘Andrew might have thought he was reclining below view of the cameras or there might have been tinted windows giving the impression of being obscured but he seems to be denying any impulse to duck his head or close or cover his eyes here.
‘But the most intriguing non-verbal cue here is how his hands appear placed in what is usually seen as a power pose.

It is understood Andrew was arrested regarding allegations he once passed sensitive information to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein. Pictured: Reporters gathered at the Sandringham estate after the bombshell news of Andrew’s arrest

This was allegedly done while he acted as trade envoy for the British government, a position he held from 2001 to 2011. Pictured: Plain-clothes police officers arrive at Wood Farm on Thursday morning, where searches began
‘This meshed steeple with relaxed-looking fingers is a gesture often seen in the boardroom in business.
‘It looks incongruent with the fearful or shocked-looking eye expression.’
Ms James pointed out such a wide-eyed look is one of Andrew’s ‘signature’ expressions – seen most famously in his car crash 2019 Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis.
She concluded that while ‘the overall message’ is ‘one of shock’: ‘There is also a hint of a man possibly still trying desperately to hang onto his dignity, power, authority and calm-headedness under exceptional circumstances.’
Wide-eyed and with his hands clasped in front of him, Andrew cut a lonely figure as he ditched his traditional suit and tie attire in favour of a shirt and cardigan more suited to the setting that is so far removed from the upper echelons of luxury he is used to.
The former prince’s older brother, King Charles, was not given any prior warning of the arrest.
The monarch said, in an unprecedented statement, ‘the law must take its course’ after expressing his ‘deepest concern’ at the news of Andrew’s detention.
Charles said: ‘I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
‘What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
‘In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
‘As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.’
The Prince and Princess of Wales, who have long been critical of Andrew, are said to support the statement.
The King and Buckingham Palace’s lack of advance warning shows the police’s determination to show that no one, not even a royal, is above the law.
But while the Firm was left in the dark, Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s team was informed of Andrew’s arrest by a senior officer early on Thursday.
The Daily Mail revealed a member of her team at the Home Office’s headquarters in Westminster’s Marsham Street was alerted by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) half an hour before the arrest.
A spokesman said: ‘In line with routine practice, the NPCC alerted operational colleagues within the Home Office of the arrest.

It follows a storm of controversy surrounding the former prince over his links to the convicted sex offender after the Epstein Files were released last month. Pictured: Unmarked police vehicles exit the gates of the Royal Lodge on Thursday

The ongoing furore has already seen Andrew stripped of his titles and privileges and exiled from his former home at Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park earlier this month. Pictured: The scene at Royal Lodge on Thursday after Andrew was taken into custody

The former prince’s older brother, King Charles, was not given any prior warning of the arrest. He issued an unprecedented statement (pictured), saying, ‘The law must take its course’
‘This gave 30 minutes’ notice before Thames Valley Police made the arrest.’
But there is no formal protocol for police to notify the Government of any high-profile arrests they intend to make.
Indeed, senior officers and politicians regularly stress that police forces have operational independence from the Home Office and the rest of government.
The incendiary nature of plan to arrest Andrew, however, led Thames Valley to conclude it would be ‘good practice’ to tip off the Home Secretary, sources said.
When officers arrived at Sandringham on Thursday morning, one man appeared to be carrying a police-issue laptop.
A convoy including at least two royal Land Rovers linked to Andrew was photographed leaving the estate less than an hour later.
A spokesperson for Thames Valley Police confirmed Andrew was taken into custody just after 10am on Thursday.
A fine art transportation company van and multiple police vehicles were also seen at Royal Lodge, Andrew’s former residence near Windsor Castle in Berkshire.
At around 4pm, a dark blue Gander and White van was seen leaving the outer gates of the Windsor Great Park, which surrounds the property.
Gander and White describes itself as ‘one of the world’s leading fine art logistics companies, providing art storage, transport, installation and customs services’.
Two large police vans with tinted windows, each carrying several uniformed officers, were also seen leaving the property.
On Thursday morning, a Thames Valley Police spokesperson said: ‘We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.’
Officers searched an address in Norfolk, believed to be Wood Farm, and an address in Berkshire, likely to be Royal Lodge, where he lived for more than 20 years.
Searches in Norfolk have now concluded but those in Berkshire remained ongoing on Thursday night.
Norfolk Police said it is ‘supporting’ the Thames Valley investigation but did not initally say if one of its stations was being used by detectives to interview Andrew.
Thames Valley Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: ‘Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

As the disgraced Andrew languished in a cell and was interviewed by detectives, the royal family soldiered on with business as usual, the King appeared at London Fashion Week. Pictured: Charles, on the front row at Tolu Coker’s show, with designer Stella McCartney, right

Meanwhile, Camilla attended an engagement (pictured) at Sinfonia Smith Square Hall in Westminster, to watch a performance by young musicians from the Tri-Borough Music Hub
‘It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
‘We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.’
For the past ten days detectives have been probing Andrew’s conduct as a trade envoy for the UK.
It comes after emails in the Epstein Files suggested he may have shared confidential information with Epstein – including reports of his official visits and potential investment opportunities.
After serving for 22 years in the Royal Navy, Andrew became the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment in 2001.
He stepped down in 2011 amid the furore over his friendship with Epstein.
Emails in a tranche of three million documents relating to Epstein, released by the US Department of Justice last month, appear to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
One email, dated November 2010, appears to be forwarded by Andrew five minutes after being sent by his then-special adviser Amir Patel.
Another, on Christmas Eve 2010, seems to send Epstein a confidential brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Experts have told of how Andrew would have been given no special treatment in custody, undergoing usual police formalities, like fingerprinting.
In what was surely a jarring experience for the former prince, he would have been kept in a standard custody suite cell – entirely bare but for a mattress and toilet.
As the disgraced Andrew languished in a cell and was interviewed by detectives on Thursday, the royal family soldiered on with business as usual.
The King arrived at London Fashion Week in the Strand area of central London, hours after issuing his statement on his brother’s arrest.
As the monarch entered the building, questions about the detention were shouted. He did not respond.
Inside, Charles was met with applause at Tolu Coker’s London Fashion Week show.
Watching the British-Nigerian designer’s collection, he chatted animatedly to British Fashion Council Chief Laura Weir and designer Stella McCartney on the front row.
Your browser does not support iframes.

Experts have told of how Andrew would have been given no special treatment in custody, undergoing usual police formalities, like fingerprinting. Pictured: Police officers outside Royal Lodge after his arrest on Thursday

For the past ten days detectives have been probing Andrew’s conduct as a trade envoy for the UK. Pictured: Andrew crouching over an unidentified female in an image which appears in the Epstein Files
Queen Camilla was also on an engagement in the capital this morning and was also asked about her brother-in-law. She also did not answer.
Ms James said the couple showed mirroring signs of ‘inner anxiety’ throughout their engagements on Thursday, despite seeming calm on the surface.
Charles fiddled with the button of his overcoat as he exited his state Bentley, suggesting a ‘desire to self-protect and self-comfort’, she explained.
Meanwhile, Camilla performed a similar act as she arrived at Sinfonia Smith Square Hall, to watch a performance by young musicians from the Tri-Borough Music Hub, and chatted to her hosts, Ms James said.
The Queen performed ’emotionally mirrored ritual’, the expert explained, when fiddling with the knot on the belt of her coat.
Ms James told the Daily Mail: ‘Both rituals had no practical use but they imply a desire to self-protect and self-comfort.
‘For the royals, who can’t greet the world with crossed or folded arms, these truncated rituals are a strong hint of inner anxieties.’
Once Thames Valley Police has completed its investigation, the evidence they have gathered will be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
It will decide if any charges will be brought.
The charge of misconduct in public office is an indictable-only offence, meaning it would be heard at a crown court, and can receive a life sentence.
Multiple British police forces are currently assessing claims in relation to the Epstein Files.
Several are examining Epstein’s use of UK airports as a ‘cheaper’ way of moving suspected sex trafficking victims around the world.
Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police is looking at claims Andrew’s protection officers ‘turned a blind eye’ to criminality on trips to Epstein’s island.
Allegations that a second woman – in addition to Andrew’s main accuser, Virginia Giuffre – was trafficked to the UK to have sex with him are also being examined.
Following news of Andrew’s arrest, relatives of Ms Giuffre – who died by suicide in April last year, after years of campaigning for victims of sexual offences – shared their ‘gratitude’ for police.
Her brothers, Sky and Danny, said in a statement: ‘At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.
‘On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation, and the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
‘He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.’
Earlier this week, Surrey Police issued a separate appeal over claims of sexual abuse made to the FBI which are alleged to have taken place in the village of Virginia Waters in the 1990s.
The National Crime Agency has said it is supporting UK forces in their Epstein files probes.
Andrew has always denied wrongdoing over his relationship with Epstein – but has made no direct statement regarding the most recent allegations of misconduct.
Though his arrest for misconduct in a public office is without modern precedent, it is not the first time the royals have faced the possibility of appearing in court.
In 2002, Princess Anne became the first Royal Family member to be convicted of a criminal offence when she was fined £500 after one of her dogs bit two children.
She also became the family’s first member to have a criminal record after admitting a charge under the Dangerous Dogs Act over the incident in Windsor.
Anne also had several convictions for speeding, all dealt with without the embarrassment of a court appearance – in 1972, 1977, 1990 and 2000.
Her daughter Zara Tindall was also banned from driving for six months in 2020 for doing 91mph in a 70mph zone.
The last time a sitting monarch was detained is believed to be King Charles I, who was ultimately beheaded in 1649 for tyranny and treason after the English Civil War.




