Three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach were named today as three sisters from west London.
Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, from Uxbridge, died early last Wednesday morning after getting into trouble in the water.
They were named today by Sussex Police, as their devasted father, Joseph, released a heartbreaking tribute.
He said in a statement: ‘Today, with a heart full of sorrow and love, I pay tribute to my beloved daughters – Jane, Christina, and Becky – whose lives ended so tragically far too soon.
‘No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives. Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.
‘Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.
‘Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.’
Emergency services were called after concerns were raised for a person’s welfare at around 5.45am on May 13, before the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water.
Detectives have not yet been able to establish how the women died, although there is no evidence to suggest criminality or anyone else being involved.

Three women whose bodies were recovered from the sea off Brighton beach have been named for the first time as sisters Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, from the Uxbridge area of London, Sussex Police said.
Joseph went on to pay tribute to each of his daughters individually.
‘Jane, your strength and loving spirit will never be forgotten. Christina, your kindness and beautiful heart touched so many lives. Becky, your warmth and joyful soul brought happiness wherever you went. You were deeply loved, and you will always be deeply missed.
‘The tragedy of losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared — the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond that death can never take away.
‘Though you are no longer here beside us, your spirits live on in our hearts every day. Love like yours never dies. You will forever remain a part of our lives, our prayers, and our memories.
‘Rest peacefully, my precious daughters — Jane, Christina, and Becky. You may be gone from our sight, but never from our hearts. Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever remembered.’
Last week, before the sisters were named, a woman came forward to say they were her cousins.
The dental nurse, who lives in Jamaica, wrote online: ‘My mum just called me to tell me the bodies of the three women that were found in Brighton Beach are my cousins.
‘And I am in complete shock…… all 3 of the girls at one time.’
The circumstances surrounding the sisters’ deaths remains under investigation.
In one scenario put forward by coastguards, they may have waded out to sea from the beach before getting into difficulty after stumbling off a shingle shelf where the seabed descends sharply into deep water.
A coastguard source told the Daily Mail: ‘The shoreline off Brighton Beach slopes steeply and many people don’t realise the danger. You don’t have to go far out at all before there’s a big drop-off and you go from knee-high water to chest-high water.
‘Swimmers can be pulled out of their depth very quickly from the backwash and with pebbles shifting underfoot it becomes difficult to maintain your balance, especially when you’re trying to climb back up the slope with waves crashing against you.
‘One theory that the coastguard are looking at is that the women went into the sea for a paddle and strayed too far out and were caught out by the sudden drop. They hadn’t removed their clothes so they hadn’t gone swimming.’

Police stand on the beach at Black Rock near Brighton Marina where the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water early last Wednesday

Police vehicles in the Black Rock car park on Madeira Drive
Sussex Police has not commented on the theory, but Chief Superintendent Adam Hays said the force was examining ‘a number of hypotheses’.
‘This is an utterly heartbreaking tragedy, and my thoughts are with the loved ones of these three young women after their devastating loss,’ he said.
‘This is a sensitive investigation that includes a number of hypotheses, and it would not be appropriate to speculate as we to continue to gather evidence.’
The bodies of the women were pulled from the sea early on Wednesday morning. The water was reported to be choppy and cold at the time.
The city was busy with partygoers enjoying the four-week Brighton Festival and student nights out.
A coastguard source said the women were in their late teens or early 20s and had been ‘fully clothed’ when they were pulled from the water.
It is understood they were first spotted at Brighton’s Palace Pier before drifting to the marina.
Residents explained that Quarters, a club on the beach esplanade, runs a weekly student event called CU Next Tuesday which finishes at 4am.
Billed as David Attenborough’s 100th birthday bash, the Tuesday night event was said to have been ‘packed out’ with many students spilling out onto the beach.
Detectives do not know why the women entered the water, but one line of inquiry is that the deaths were misadventure – the result of a risky mishap.
Witnesses claimed that the women’s belongings were found on the beach.

RNLI crews on the Brighton lifeboat and Shoreham all-weather lifeboat were also involved in the search
One local worker said: ‘Police were down earlier speaking to people. Apparently, their handbags were found on the beach along with a coat.
‘I saw coastguard officers searching for more of their personal belongings, like phones. It’s absolutely dreadful.’
A source close to the investigation said the women were thought to have been in their late teens or early 20s.
The source added: ‘They were pulled from the sea this morning and were fully dressed, still in their going-out clothes.’
The force has dismissed online speculation that there was any migrant involvement in the case.
The beach remained closed throughout Wednesday as dozens of officers from Sussex Police and HM Coastguard spent much of the day combing the area.
Images from the distressing scene at Black Rock, near the marina, showed one body lying on the pebbles covered by orange sheeting as two police officers stood guard.
South East Ambulance Service said it was called to reports of ‘concern for the welfare of three women in the sea off Brighton’ at around 5.45am, but they were ‘declared deceased at the scene’.
One onlooker said: ‘It’s absolutely tragic. I heard they were found close to the shore and pulled out, but nothing could be done to save them. There were loads of ambulances and police here from very early.
‘The conditions are not right for sea swimming today. It is very, very windy and there is a strong current that pushes people east from the pier. It is not inconceivable the women went into the sea near the Palace Pier around a mile away and got pushed this way. This just goes to show how dangerous it can be.’
Another resident speculated that the women may have gone for a swim after a late night in the popular student town and got into difficulty.

An HM Coastguard helicopter was seen hovering above the water earlier on Wednesday
She added: ‘People in high spirits sometimes decide to go for a swim late at night.
‘I suppose these poor women may have decided on a late-night dip with tragic results. They may have gone into the sea closer to the pier and got into trouble.’
A restaurant owner said he also suspected the women had attempted a night-time swim.
He added: ‘The sea was really choppy this morning and the sea swimmers haven’t been there all morning. They don’t generally go in if it’s too rough.
‘My feeling is the women have possibly gone for a night-time dip and been swept towards Black Rock. It’s an absolute tragedy.’
The area where the bodies were found is known locally as ‘the washing machine’ – a patch of churning water that swirls in a dangerously unpredictable way.
Bella Sankey, the leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, said she was ‘shocked and deeply saddened’ to hear that three women had died.
‘My heart goes out to the friends and family of these women and on behalf of Brighton and Hove, I send sincere condolences,’ she said.
Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven MP Chris Ward added it was ‘deeply tragic news’ and concerning for the community and everyone affected.
Hove and Portslade MP Peter Kyle said that it was a ‘sobering and heartbreaking reminder’ that families, neighbours and communities are what is important.
‘We will all be working with emergency services, tourism services and the seafront office to further promote messages about the risks around water,’ he said on Wednesday.
‘Our seafront is one of the many jewels in the crown of our city but the sea can be a risk. However, for tonight I shall only be thinking about the families and friends affected by this tragedy.’
Sussex Police have asked anyone with further information to contact them online or on 101, quoting Operation Ledmore.


