By RACHEL BOWMAN, US SENIOR NEWS REPORTER and KATRINA SCHOLLENBERGER, US HEAD OF LIVE NEWS
Updated:
Vice President JD Vance revealed that wife Usha, who was born and raised in San Diego, ‘absolutely’ knew of people who attended the mosque where three people were killed on Monday.
Supects Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, were reported missing two hours before they opened fire outside the Islamic Center of San Diego yesterday where they gunned down three people, police said.
‘Her family lives in San Diego. She was born and raised in San Diego. Every time we go to San Diego, we go to this restaurant that is like maybe a five minute drive from this community center,’ he said in a press conference on Tuesday.
‘And I texted her, I said, you know, would you have known anybody who was like involved in this? And she said, absolutely. I would have known some people, or at least their parents, who might have actually used the services at this community center.’
Images from the scene showed a red gasoline canister with a sticker resembling a Nazi SS logo, as a shotgun lay nearby.
Authorities had already been on the lookout for the two youths, after one of their mothers called officers to report that her son had run away with ‘several of her weapons’ and her vehicle, Chief Scott Wahl said.
Investigators plan to execute search warrants related to the investigation on Tuesday as they piece together how and why the shooting unfolded.
Follow along for the latest updates…
JD Vance reveals personal connection to the Islamic Center of San Diego
Vice President JD Vance revealed his and his wife Usha’s connection to the mosque where two teenage gunmen killed three people.
‘That community center is actually very close to this restaurant that Usha and I go to every time we visit,’ he said on Tuesday.
‘Her family lives in San Diego. She was born and raised in San Diego. Every time we go to San Diego, we go to this restaurant that is like maybe a five-minute drive from this community center.
Vance added, ‘I found out about it actually on my way to the White House this morning. And I texted her, I said, you know, would you have known anybody who was like involved in this? And she said, ” Absolutely, I would have known some people, or at least their parents, who might have actually used the services at this community center.”’
He then condemned all violence in the United States.
‘I don’t know a single person who would say anything other than what I’m about to say, which is that that type of violence in the United States of America is reprehensible,’ Vance said.
‘And I encourage every single American to pray for everybody who was involved and affected by it. We don’t want that to happen to our country. And may God rest the souls of the people who lost their lives.’
Hero security guard warned teachers to lock classroom doors before he was killed, Iman says
Islamic Center of San Diego Imam Taha Hassane revealed that the hero security guard who was killed during Monday’s shooting warned teachers in his final moments.
Amin Abdullah used his radio to warn the teachers at the school to lock the classroom doors before he was killed, Hassane told The Washington Post.
Approximately 200 school children were inside at the time.
‘By doing this, he saved so many, many, many souls,’ Hassane said.
Chilling police audio of cops descending on scene of San Diego mosque shooting
Distressing police audio has revealed what happened on the ground as cops descended on the San Diego mosque shooting that left three people dead.
Officers with the city’s police department responded to the Islamic Center of San Diego after shots rang out on Monday.
Amongst the chaos, police searched for the two teenage gunman while also pulling victims away from the scene to be given life saving measures, radio chatter revealed.
San Diego mosque shooter Cain Clark’s grandparents ‘shocked’ in wake of attack
Mosque shooter Cain Clark’s grandparents, David and Deborah Clark, told CNN yesterday that they have been left stunned and heartbroken by the tragedy that left three dead, saying they were ‘trying to process this’ and were ‘very sorry for what happened.’
San Diego police chief Scott Wahl said although Clark’s mother warned cops that her weapons were missing shortly before the attack, she did not indicate any kind of planned attack on the mosque.
‘There was no specific threat, especially no specific threat to the Islamic Center,’ the police chief said.
‘It was just general hate kind of speech that I think covered a wide gamut.’
No children harmed in mosque shooting
The imam of the Islamic Center of San Diego confirmed that no children were injured during yesterday’s shooting.
The Muslim place of worship is also home to the Al Rashid school, which was formerly known as the Islamic School of San Diego.
Kids in kindergarten through third grade attend the school.
‘The entire school is safe. All the kids, all the staff and the teachers are safe out of the Islamic Center,’ Imam Taha Hassane said in a Facebook video update.
‘We have a few casualties, not confirmed yet. There is no threat at this moment, but we want everyone to stay away from the Islamic Center of San Diego.’
Hero husband and hardworking caretaker identified as victims of San Diego mosque shooting
A heroic husband trying to save his wife and a beloved caretaker have been identified as additional victims of the San Diego mosque massacre.
Nader Awad, 57, died while trying to rush two teenage gunmen who opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego, where his wife was inside on Monday.
He was killed alongside beloved mosque worker Mansoor Kaziha and security guard Amin Abdullah, who was identified yesterday, before the shooters took their own lives.
Congressman praises heroic security guard
New Hampshire Representative Chris Pappas praised the security guard who was killed in the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego.
‘I’m thinking of the victims of yesterday’s horrific shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego and their families and loved ones,’ Pappas wrote on X.
‘No one should have to fear violence at their place of worship. I’m grateful to Amin Abdullah who saved lives with his heroic actions and to law enforcement for their quick response.’
San Diego mayor addresses heckler who said mosque attack was ‘direct result of your leadership’
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria responded to the person who interrupted his press conference on Monday about the Islamic Center of San Diego shooting.
‘Well, to be clear, that individual is not Muslim. That person is a frequent visitor to city hall, to places where I’m at. And so unfortunately, they saw this as their opportunity for a little bit of national fame, which is not the time or the place,’ Todd said on CNN.
‘There is sadly, seemingly less shame in the world these days to try to exploit the tragedy of a community in order to get clicks and views.’
The heckler said, ‘This is a f*****g direct result of your leadership. Your leadership. Our Muslim brothers and sisters have been talking to you for how long?
‘You have to f*****g listen to them Todd, just like you did with ICE. [unintelligible] Zionist propaganda. And you’ll keep doing it as long as it lines your f*****g pockets, won’t it? Show something/ Worse approval rating than a fascist dictator with s**t in his hands.’
Mourners gather outside Islamic Center of San Diego
Mourners gathered outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on Tuesday as a memorial grows for the three people killed during the mosque shooting.
Hero security guard greeted community members with a smile, video shows
Video posted by CAIR San Diego showed hero security guard Amin Abdullah greeting members of the mosque with a smile.
‘Our beloved brother and martyr Amin Abdullah, who always had a smile on his face, warmly greeting anyone and everyone who entered the masjid,’ CAIR San Diego wrote on Instagram.
San Diego Islamic Center Imam calls shooting ‘extremely outrageous’
Imam Taha Hassane of the San Diego Islamic Center told reporters Monday’s shooting was ‘extremely outrageous.’
‘I know it’s a time of sorrow, a time of sadness. We have never experienced a tragedy like this before. And at this moment all I can say is sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here,’ he said.
‘The other mosques and all the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected. It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship.’
Who were San Diego mosque shooters Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez?
The two teenagers, who dressed themselves in camouflage and attacked a mosque in San Diego, have been identified as Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez.
Clark, 17, and Vazquez, 18, left home, armed with a 9mm handgun, a shotgun and a mini 14 – which had been stolen from Clark’s mother’s home – and descended onto the Islamic Center of San Diego at around 11.40am.
The horrific attack left three people dead outside of the place of worship, which also serves as a school, before the pair turned the guns on themselves.
Share or comment on this article:
JD Vance reveals wife Usha’s shock personal connection to mosque at center of deadly San Diego massacre: Live updates