The White House was placed on lockdown following reports of gunfire on Saturday evening.
Journalists reporting in DC ducked for cover after hearing 20-30 rounds ring out.
Network staffers said they were moved to secure locations inside the White House as the situation unfolded, while NBC sought comment from the US Secret Service.
Television footage from the scene showed heavily armed Secret Service personnel positioned on the White House North Lawn carrying rifles.
‘I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots,’ tweeted ABC White House Correspondent Selena Wang.
‘It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now,’ she added.
Unusually for a weekend, President Donald Trump was at the White House rather than his usual Florida abode.
Trump had earlier been in the Oval Office with Middle Eastern officials for talks on Iran.

An armed Secret Service agent reacts at the White House in Washington, DC, after gunshots were apparently heard on Saturday evening

ABC White House Correspondent Selena Wang had been recording on her phone when she heard the sound of gunfire

A member of the US Secret Service watches while holding his weapon after gunfire was heard nearby, at the White House in Washington, D.C.

A Secret Service agent walks holding his weapon after gunshots rang out close to the White House
The White House press pool had also been dismissed about an hour before the gunshots rang out, so there were just a few reporters left on the White House grounds.
Members of the press corps situated on the North Lawn were rushed to the White House briefing room.
Reporters who were already inside the White House were told to shelter in place whileSecret Service agents shouted ‘get down’ and warned of ‘shots fired.
In the minutes following the shooting, CNN reported the gunfire came from the 17th Street side of the White House, closer to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
Saturday’s scare comes just weeks after White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting where many of the same journalists were present.
The Daily Mail has contacted the DC Metropolitan Police Department, the White House press office and the Secret Service for comment.
This is a breaking story – more follows…

Reporters near the White House said they heard what sounded like dozens of gunshots on Saturday evening


